Like many of the public houses in Elstree, the Plough has a long illustrious history. The earliest known records date back to 1637 when it was known as The Swan according to a copyhold of the manor of Titburst and Kendals. Its latter name ‘The Plough Inn’ was first recorded in 1753. A victualler billeting record dating from 1756 lists the site as having one bed and one horse, by 1797 the building appears to have expanded, a deed of sale notes “houses, outhouses, edifices, barns, stables, yards, gardens, orchards, and ways”. During the 18th and 19th century, Elstree was a major stopping point along Watling Street, a coaching route that linked London to the midlands. The area prospered from the regular passing trade; at one time there were five coaching inns operating within the area. Around 1816 the site was taken over by Clutterbucks Brewery of Stanmore, who owned a large estate of pubs around Middlesex and Hertfordshire at the time. In the 1823-4 Pigot & Co Directory, the pub is listed as being a stopping point for Bryans (London – St Albans) coach service. During the 1830’s it was rebuilt under its present guise, as a double pile construction with symmetrical elevations, fronted in yellow stock-brick and a low-pitched roof, a design typical of the late Georgian period. In the 1839 Pigot’s Directory, two coaches regularly stopped off here including The Safety and the Accommodation, St Albans bound services called between Monday – Saturday at 8am and 9am, while for London bound services, the Safety called at 4pm, and the Accommodation at 6pm respectively. In the Post Office Directory 1851, only one coach was noted passing through the village, from Shenley to and from London each day (except Sundays).
By this time the pub was run by a farmer William Jones and his wife Susannah, who also owned a 99 acre-farm on site. The pub was first listed as a public house in the 1866 Post Office Directory. The Jones ran the site until 1886 when they were succeeded by Wakely Whiteley. The local coaching trade had declined by then following the onset of the railways. The pub became a popular location for charity dinners, and beanfests. A number of running and cycling clubs based around Middlesex frequented this site for their meetings and lodged here. Whiteley was also friendly with the local sporting scene and helped organise regular bird shootings on the grounds. In 1890, William Halsley took over, he was succeeded by George Dickson four years later, who ran the pub for the next 32 years with his wife Jane. Under Dickson’s watch it became known as The Plough Hotel, the pub became a hub for the local community, various local societies held regular functions here including The Aldenham Harriers, Elstree & Borehamwood Cricket Club and the, Elstree & Borehamwood Horticultural Society who also held their annual Autumn Shows on the grounds adjacent to the pub from 1909. This was facilitated in 1906, when Dickson obtained a licence for public music and dancing, which allowed for the construction of a long room for larger functions. Dickson was also involved in the local community, in 1896 he was elected to join the then newly formed Elstree parish council, moreover he was also a long-term member of Watford and District Licensed Victuallers and Beersellers’ Trade Protection Association, formed to assist fellow publicans in the local region. For a brief period in the late 1890’s he became chairman, and on various occasions he hosted quarterly meetings at the Plough.
In 1898 the N13 became the area’s first regular bus service running between the Plough and Elstree & Borehamwood Station, this was followed by the 306 in 1925. The local film industry in nearby Borehamwood was emerging and the pub soon became a popular haunt for actors and film crew from the studios. In March 1919, Dickson resigned from the council, and a farewell dinner was held at the Plough in his honour. In 1923, Clutterbucks were taken over by Cannon Brewery, then Taylor Walker seven years later. Dickson passed away in October 1926, his wife continued to run the pub until July 1929. A retirement party was arranged by members of the local film industry, which included the likes of Alfred Hitchcock, Madeline Carroll, Carl Brisson, Donald Calthrop and Jameson Thomas. She was succeeded by Ernest Cox who was assisted for a time by Ernie Palmer. During his tenure, he gathered a collection of signed photos of famous movie stars who visited the pub, which were then lined up on the walls, at the time it was one of the largest collections of signed photos in the country. Among its notable regulars included the actor John Longden, and Alfred Hitchcock, each day after filming at BIP, he joined his film crew for drinks at the pub, they soon became renowned for playing practical jokes on the owner and his staff. In 1941, the pub was taken over by Kathleen B. Love. After the war, it was used for regular meetings for the Elstree Rotary Club, and the during the 1950’s, the St. John’s Club held their regular Christmas dinners here. Among her bar staff was cellarman Bernard Prescott who later became sales chief for Banks & Taylor Brewery of Shefford.
Taylor Walker merged with Ind Coope and Ansell’s in 1959 to form Allied Breweries. Following the establishment of CAMRA in the early 70’s, after sustained local campaigning in 1979 cask was reinstated at the pub, Benskins Bitter and Ind Coope Burton Ale were sold at the handpumps. The same year, the newly merged Allied Lyons revived the Benskins brand and subsequently kitted out all their Hertfordshire Ind Coope pubs in Benskins red and gold livery, along with their pennant trademark. In 1983, they established the annual Heart of Gold competition, the following year it was won by the Plough’s then landlord Anthony Tarsey who raised £4000 for charity, he was later succeeded by Dave and Barbara White. In 1992 the pub was refurbished, the food menu was expanded, offering steaks and Sunday lunches, a family conservatory was also constructed to the rear of the property. Two years later, Allied merged with Pedro Domecq S.A. to become Allied Domecq, and the pub joined the Big Steak chain of steakhouses. Early in 1997, they instigated a £150m expansion of its brands Big Steak, Wacky Warehouse, Firkin and Mr Q across their pub estate. In February, it was announced that the Plough would join the Wacky Warehouse chain with the rear of the building converted to offer soft play facilities. Their plans were soon disrupted when they discovered that the area they leased was intended as a paddock for horses. Allied Domecq tried to challenge this in the courts, but were unsuccessful. In 2000, the pub ceased being part of the Big Steak chain. It was extensively refurbished with a function/ sports room added. By the early noughties, a reporter from the Watford Observer described the place as cold and unfriendly, akin to the waiting room in the TV series Casualty. The pub closed in early 2004, it was subsequently purchased by Tony Chan who converted it into a Chinese restaurant called The East which opened on 21st March. It continued to operate for nearly a decade when at a hearing held at Watford Magistrates Court in November 2013, Chan pleaded guilty to 13 hygiene related offences, while East Inn Ltd pleaded guilty to a further 15 offences. The East closed shortly after this inquest, the site subsequently became Kiss Kiss, an Italian restaurant, before that too closed ultimately in 2017.
After six years of closure, Heineken owned Star Pubs who managed the freehold announced to the press in April 2023 that they were planning to renovate the site and restore it back to a working pub again under its former name The Plough. That August, Star Pubs obtained permission from Hertsmere Borough Council to take down the old signage and renovate the exterior. Further approval to restore the pub garden was given later that November. Works were initially expected to be £600,000 but went up to £1,300,000. Building work was scheduled to take place later that year but was delayed due to ongoing negotiations with the council. The following year the leasehold was acquired by Steve Haslam of Aim Pubs. In October 2025 renovation works began, the interior was expanded by 25% to create a split trading space accommodating both a bar and a dining area, while the garden was restored with a terrace, raised patio and outdoor screen added. On 27th May, the Plough reopened for business, beginning a new chapter in its long continuing story.
